A Dollar Earned

Written by: LJ


Skyy tore through the back porch and arrived in the kitchen at the same time Dennis was entering from the front hall.

“You’ll never guess what I’ve got here, Den!” Skyy announced, bouncing breathlessly. The younger man waved a paper in the air and pranced merrily around the room while the older one tried hard to keep a straight face.

Pretending not to notice his Brat’s antics, Dennis placed his briefcase on the counter and took out a sheet of paper of his own.

Skyy pulled up next to his partner. “Hello? What’s wrong with this picture? How come I’m doing a happy dance all by myself? You or Dusty usually dance with me when I’m this excited. Aren’t you interested in my news, Den?”

Dennis couldn’t hold back any longer. He laughed and held out his arms; not at all surprised when Skyy jumped into them and wrapped his legs around his waist.

Walking over to the table, Dennis dragged out a chair. “Drop your legs, Sport, so I can sit down.” As soon as Skyy obeyed the directive, Dennis sat down with the young man straddling his lap. “I guess it would be best if I listened to you first or I won’t stand a chance of getting you to listen to me, right?”

Skyy just grinned his agreement to that particular observation. “You remember me telling you I had to do what I call on-the-job training, don’t you? And that I had applied to the Montessori Education Centre? Well, this letter came for me today and I’ve been accepted.” Skyy once again waved the paper in his hand. “At the start of my next semester, I’ll be a part-time assistant instructor for the five-year-olds. Finally, a course of study that actually deals with what I want to be some day, which is a kindergarten teacher. Isn’t that great?”

“It certainly is, baby.” Dennis smiled and gave his young partner a congratulatory hug. “Now, is it my turn to be heard?”

“Sure thing, Den. Shoot!”

“Professor Gammon gave me this earlier today. I guess he thought I’d find it as thought provoking as he did.” Dennis set the item he had taken from his briefcase on the table. Boldly written in Skyy’s neat handwriting was ‘My most favourite place in the world at this moment is right here in my own skin.’

“Care to explain?”

“I figure it’s quite self-explanatory, Den.”

“Hmm, the sentence was, imp. It is the photo I’m referring to.” Try as he might, Dennis was unable to maintain a stern persona. “But first, let me guess. You were going for ‘a picture says a thousand words’, weren’t you?” Getting a nod and a mischievous grin, Dennis ventured to ask, “Why one of yourself in the nude, Skyy?”

“It was a last minute idea, Den, when I realized my English Lit. Professor might be expecting more than one line in order to consider the essay complete. You got to admit, it was perfect for the subject matter.”

Dennis looked towards the ceiling and closed his eyes for a moment. Opening them again, he gazed into the beautiful violet eyes of his youngest Brat. “What am I going to do with you, scamp? I never know what you’re going to pull off next.”

“Was Professor Gammon pissed off?”

“Not at all. In fact, he found my embarrassment rather amusing.” Dennis shook his head at the memory of his co-worker laughing at him.

“Sorry, Den.” Skyy glanced over the paper he had handed in. “Hey, look at this. He actually marked it and didn’t even fail me.” Skyy was silent for a few moments as he ran his fingers lightly over the mark at the top of the page. “You owe me a dollar, Den,” he softly stated.

“How so, Sport?”

“I remember overhearing a kid in elementary school telling a friend that he got a dollar for every ‘A’. I got an ‘A’, Den.”

“That you did, sweetheart.” Dennis chuckled as he dug around in his pants pocket and drew out a Loonie, which he handed to Skyy. It hadn’t been made any easier with the younger man still sitting on his lap. He wondered if Skyy would decide to ask for the same award for all his previous ‘A’s. If so, Dennis would owe him a small fortune.

Skyy happily turned the coin over several times before throwing his arms around Dennis’ neck and hugging him.

Just then Dusty strolled into the kitchen and thumped his lunch box down next to the sink. He kissed both his partners and then sat down to begin removing his work books. He saw the picture of a naked Skyy with a large ‘A’ above it. He picked it up as a huge smile spread across his handsome face. “Looks like the photo did the trick all right. It doesn’t get better than top marks, does it, little buddy?”

“You got that right, D.” Turning back to Dennis, Skyy added, “Dusty gave me the photo. He had it in that secret stash of his. You know, the one he keeps at the back of the bedroom closet in that old shoe box. The one you and I aren’t supposed to know anything about.” Skyy winked, enjoying the teasing atmosphere.

“Does that mean I own Dusty a dollar too, seeing as he helped you with your assignment?”

“Sounds only fair to me,” Dusty and Skyy both responded at the same time. They all laughed uproariously when Dennis pulled another Loonie out of his pocket and tossed it across to his older Brat.

“Well, I was going to treat you to Chinese take-out, but I seem to be a little short on cash,” Dennis teased, his brown eyes sparkling.

His two Brats looked at each other and exchanged a silent message. “Our treat!” Skyy announced as Dusty got up to fetch the phone and a menu from their favourite restaurant.

The End

1 comment:

  1. I really adore your DDS stories :) And I hope you'll write more of them :D

    ReplyDelete