Forging Stronger Ties

Written By: LJ


Entering the kitchen, Dennis placed his briefcase on the table and hung his jacket over the back of the nearest chair. He waited until Skyy had turned off the faucets where he was washing his hands at the kitchen sink.

“Ahem!” he cleared his throat to get the other man’s attention.

Skyy turned to see a not-too-pleased Top standing just inside the back door. “Oh..hmm….hi, Den. You’re home early,” he said nervously as he dried his hands and tried to avoid looking directly at the older man.

“Yes, but I’m not the only one; which means we have something to discuss, don’t we?” Dennis spoke softly, walking over and pulling his partner into his arms to kiss him.

“Yeah,” Skyy sighed and nodded his head against Dennis’ chest. “But I really don’t want to.”

“Then you should have given it more thought before letting a bad idea get you in trouble.” Taking Skyy by the hand, Dennis led him down the hall and into the study.

“What time did you get home today, Skyy?” he asked as he pulled the straight-back chair into the center of the room.

“I kinda forget?” Skyy hedged unsuccessfully.

“Then try harder to remember because I expect a proper answer,” Dennis ordered, sitting down and looking into the young face of his partner.

“I-I got home just after ten o’clock.” Skyy shuffled from one foot to the other and stared down at the floor.

“What time do your classes end on Monday?” was the next question.

Skyy signed deeply. “You already know that they finish at twelve noon,” he pouted.

“In other words, you left your first class early and didn’t attend either of the other two; right?” Dennis zeroed in on the crime.

“Yes; but that’s because the classes are getting so boring. The teachers keep going over and over the same material. I hate it!”

“We have already talked about this, Skyy. The instructors are preparing everyone for the final exams next week,” Dennis explained yet again. “What did we agree on last week after you missed two days?”

“That I had to go to school everyday.”

“Why did we decide to make that a rule?”

“So I wouldn’t get into a bad habit of skipping classes ‘cause it will make things harder when I start university next month.”

“And what did I say would happen the next time you skipped?” Dennis asked quietly, holding Skyy’s hands in his.

Skyy didn’t really feel like answering but at the insistent shake on his hands, he mumbled, “You’d spank me.”

“That’s right!” Dennis undid the button and zipper on Skyy’s shorts and pulled them and the boxers down to the young man’s knees, before settling his partner over his lap. “You’re getting this spanking because…..?” he asked. Not getting an answer, he patted the young man’s bare butt and added warningly, “Skyy.”

“I-I broke the rule to attend all my classes,” Skyy whimpered as he tried to get back on his feet.

Dennis merely tightened his hold, lifted his arm and brought his hand down on the wiggling bottom.

“Oww!” Skyy wailed and jerked at the sharpness of the smack.

Two dozen more followed before Dennis ended the spanking with three last hard swats. He gentled his hand to caress the hot, red flesh and then lifted the crying young man up to sit on his lap, being careful not to let the tender bottom come in contact with his hard thighs.

“All right, baby. It’s over. Shhh.” Dennis’s soft and loving voice consoled the man in his arms and the crying gradually lessened. “No more skipping school, right?”

“N-no. I-I promise!” Skyy hitched and wrapped his arms around the bigger man’s neck to cuddle closer.

“Here, sweetie,” Dennis said several minutes later, holding out a tissue. “Blow your nose.”

“Ow!” Skyy yelped and pushed Dennis’ hand away.

“What’s wrong?” Dennis asked, looking closely at Skyy’s face. “How did your face get so sunburned, little one?”

“I don’t know. I put on sunscreen before starting to work in the garden.”

“And that was at what time, Skyy?”

“About eleven o’clock.”

“How long were you working outside and where exactly?”

“Until just before you came home around two-thirty. I was working at the back of the garden.”

“Skyy, you were in direct sunlight for almost three and a half hours.”

“But I was wearing a hat and I used sunscreen. Honest, Den!”

“I believe you, honey.” Dennis put Skyy on his feet and helped the young man rearrange his clothing. “Come with me, please.” He stood up and once again took the younger man’s hand.

Walking into the kitchen, Dennis picked the sunscreen up off the counter. “Sit up here, Sport,” he said, pulling out a stool.

He waited until the young man had stopped squirming and was seated as comfortably as possible. Then ignoring the pout on his partner’s face, Dennis handed the bottle of lotion to Skyy and said, “Now read the back of this out loud, please!”

After Skyy read the label over once, Dennis had him re-read one of the sentences. ‘Reapply often, especially after swimming, vigorous activity or perspiring heavily.’

“But I wasn’t swimming, Den!” Skyy cried adamantly.

“I know that, Sport. But you were working hard and should have used this at least two more times. This isn’t the first time we’ve talked about you following the directions on labels, is it?” Dennis pulled a pad and pencil out of the drawer and told his young partner to copy out the label five times while he went to change out of his suit.

“The whole label? Five times?” Skyy asked for verification.

“You got it; five times on plain paper, in English and with a black pencil!” the other man instructed before adding, “No more frying yourself in the sun, sweetheart.” He grabbed his jacket off the chair and headed upstairs.

Returning to the kitchen, Dennis found Skyy still sitting at the counter, diligently doing his writing assignment and apparently finding the activity very amusing.

“What’s so funny, Sport?”

“I finished it all, Den.” Skyy handed to papers to Dennis. His violet-blue eyes were sparkling with mischief. “Check it out.”

Glancing over Skyy’s neat even script, Dennis looked up and asked, “How come half of this is in French, young man?”

“We live in a bilingual country, man. All labels are in both languages and you said to write out the whole label.” Skyy’s grin widened from ear to ear causing the dimples in his cheeks to deepen.

Dennis returned the smile. “Guess you got me, Brat.”

Reaching over the counter, Skyy threw his arms around the other man’s neck and looked into his eyes for a moment. “Betcha I didn’t!” he chuckled, hugging his partner.

Both men laughed as Dennis swung Skyy around and set him on the floor. “I’ll get supper started. You get some Solarcaine on that face.”

“But I should be making supper because I got home first. I already have the salad made, the corn wrapped in foil and the steaks marinating.”

“Good! Then I’ll go heat up the bar-be-cue,” Dennis said, taking the steaks out of the fridge. “We are soon going to have a hungry partner on our hands.”

“Since you’re taking over, is it okay if I go for a swim?”

“Please set the table first and don’t forget the sunscreen!”

“Hmm-grrr!” Skyy growled and Dennis laughed at his Brat’s imitation of Marg Simpson’s sound of frustration.

Twenty minutes later, Skyy flew through the back door and raced across the kitchen. He was naked and dripping pool water everywhere. It was being wet that caused his feet to slip out from under him, making him fall on his back to slide across the floor and end up with his butt plastered to the far wall with his feet pointing towards the ceiling.

He lay there for a few moments trying to catch his breath then he opened his eyes to see Dusty staring down at him.

“Comfy?” the other man asked, trying hard not to laugh.

“Not exactly,” Skyy managed to croak out.

“Here, let me help you,” Dusty offered as he hauled his partner up off the floor only to be pushed aside as Skyy continued his run to his original destination.

“What’s the hurry?” Dusty asked, following the young man down the hall. He leaned against the doorframe of the bathroom and waited for Skyy to relieve himself. “I don’t know why you always wait to the last minute, Buddy.”

Washing his hands, Skyy looked over his shoulder and smirked at his fellow-Brat.

Dusty took a closer look at the younger man’s bottom before commenting, “You sure plowed into that wall, Skyy. Your butt’s kinda red.”

“Yeah!” He reached a wet hand around to rub his backside and explained. “But the wall didn’t do that, Dennis did.”

“What did you do this time?”

“Skipped classes again.”

“Man, you sure know how to push it.” Dusty shook his head in disbelief and pulled Skyy into his arms to claim his welcome-home hug.

“Skyy! Dusty!” Both of them turned toward the other man’s voice and headed for the kitchen. “Supper is ready, boys!” Dennis announced, setting the platter of food on the table and then holding out his arms to greet Dusty.

“I just want to change my clothes, Den,” Dusty said after returning the embrace.

“Okay, love, but make it fast.” Noticing the water on the floor, Dennis firmly suggested. “Skyy, you can wipe this up while we’re waiting for Dusty but first get your shorts and T-shirt back on. They’re on the deck where you left them.”

After dressing, Skyy got out the mop and bucket to quickly follow Dennis’ instructions before sitting down at the table.

“Have you decided on a career yet, Skyy?” Dennis asked as he cut into his steak.

“Yep! I finally know what I want to do.” Skyy bounced in his seat.

“That was sooo fast. Imagine, it only took you three months to figure it out,” Dusty teased, taking a bite out of an ear of corn.

Dennis grabbed his youngest Brat’s hand in time to prevent a dinner roll from bouncing off Dusty’s head.

Skyy laughed and settled for sticking out his tongue instead. “Yeah, well three months isn’t all that long when there was so much researching to do. I got the choice down to two but then I couldn’t choose just one.”

“All right, don’t keep us in suspense, Sport. What did you finally decide on?”

“I’d like to get a Bachelor of Education degree. I want to teach kids, little kids.”

“What grades would you be interested in, honey?”

“Well, I’d really like to teach kindergarten but grade one or two will be okay.”

“Why those ones, Buddy?” Dusty asked, his curiosity getting the best of him.

“Hey, I figure they’re the only classes that can kinda guarantee that none of the students would be bigger than me and besides, I like kids.”

After their laughter died down, Dennis reminded Skyy, “You mentioned two choices, Skyy. What was the other one?”

“Advertising; because the way the government keeps cutting back, by the time I graduate in four years they might not need new teachers so I’m going to take some advertising and art courses…you know….as electives,” Skyy proudly explained.

“Good thinking, little buddy!” Dusty exclaimed, leaning over the table and holding up his hand for a high-five. “And either way you still get to work with one of your favourite things….colours!”

“Yabetcha!” Skyy whacked his smaller hand against Dusty’s bigger one.

Dennis shook his head at his Brats’ antics. “Well, no one can accuse you of not planning ahead, Sport.”

“I’ll get that,” Dennis said, getting up from the table to answer the phone. “You two settle down and finish your supper.”

Just as Dennis left the room Dusty’s knife clattered onto the floor. Skyy watched him bend over to pick it up and asked, “What happened?”

“It just slipped,” Dusty mumbled as he tried to cut his steak. “Something is wrong with my hand. I’m having trouble holding onto things.” Seeing a look of concern on his younger partner’s face, he added, “It’s just temporary; probably a pinched nerve or something. I’m sure it will be all right in the morning.”

Skyy didn’t look convinced. Without saying a word, he reached over and cut up the rest of the meat on Dusty’s plate.

“Don’t say anything to Den, okay? It’s really nothing.”

“It’s happened before, hasn’t it? I know ‘cause I’ve seen you rubbing at your hand and wrist.”

“Hey! I’m not worried so you don’t have to worry either or bother Dennis about it.”

“I won’t say anything. I mean, it’s your hand, right?”

“Right!”

“That man is going to drive us all nuts,” Dennis complained as he came into the kitchen and sat down. “It was Professor Paynter calling to remind me about the faculty meeting this Wednesday afternoon,” he explained in response to the other two men’s questioning looks. “He’s put up notices in the staff room, e-mailed everyone and now he’s calling us all. He’s going to be the one to miss the meeting because someone is going to wring his bloody neck.”

“Don’t you wish you could be the one to do it?” Dusty teased as he got up and started clearing the table.

“Hmm-grrr!” Dennis gave his own impression of a Marg Simpson’s groan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Skyy, we have to talk about some changes that will need to be made before you start university in a couple of weeks,” Dennis said Thursday morning during their customary one-on-one time.

“What changes?”

“You registered yesterday, didn’t you?” Getting affirmative from the man on his lap, Dennis asked, “But you haven’t seen your course schedule yet, have you?” A negative shake was the answer this time and Dennis continued, “Most the scheduling print-out was reviewed at the faculty meeting and you’ve got a rather full slate ahead of you, Sport. We now have a decision to make that you may not be too happy about, but it’s in your best interest to go along with it.”

“What exactly are you getting at, Den?” Skyy looked with skepticism at the older man.

“Skyy, your first priority will be to concentrate on your studies and you are going to need a lot of time to do that properly. I’m afraid it’s going to mean you giving up your job, honey.” Dennis waited for the explosion. It was instantaneous.

“No way, man! I like my job! I’m not giving it up!” Skyy jumped up and stamped his foot. He didn’t even notice Dennis’ raised eyebrow as he yelled his feelings on the subject.

“Stop that and settle down!” Dennis ordered as he pulled his Brat back onto his lap and landed a sharp swat on the young man’s backside. “We are going to talk about this calmly and you don’t say ‘no’ to me.” Dennis admonished with another swat.

Skyy drew in a deep breath to steady himself and stared into his partner’s face, studying the expression that looked like it was cast in stone.

“I need this job, Den. I can’t pay my share if I don’t work. I don’t have any other money and I’m already worried about how I’m going to afford the courses I’ve signed up for. I really need to keep my job.” He hoped there was still a chance that he’d be able to change the outcome of this conversation.

Dennis slowly shook his head and said quietly, “Sweetheart, I want you to listen to me for a few minutes, okay?” Getting a reluctant nod and a pout, he pulled Skyy closer and started talking into the curls he was rubbing his chin against. “First off, due to the fact that you are an orphan with plans to attend university, you qualify for benefits under your father’s pension plan. I have all the necessary forms here for you to fill out. You will receive these benefits until you are twenty-five…IF, you stay in school. It won’t be a large sum but it will provide you with spending money. Secondly, depending on the results of your final exams next week, you are probably in-line for some financial assistance to cover your tuition. And finally, Dusty and I want to help you.”

“But I don’t want to have to depend on you guys. I don’t want to be a leech or something.”

“Hey, you’re not a leech or something. We are in a position to help you and we want to help you. You can do more around the house if you feel you have to earn your way but you will not be working outside our home.”

“You’ve already made up your mind about this and I really don’t have any say, do I?” Skyy resigned himself to the inevitable.

“Sweetie, you want a career, don’t you? You want to get a good education to fulfill all your goals, right? Do you agree that the higher your marks are, the more opportunities you’ll have in the future?” A small hesitant nod followed each of these questions. Dennis smiled down at the young face looking into his and gently kissed the pouting lips. “The three of us are going to work together to help make your university years go as smoothly as possible. I love you, baby. Please trust me to always put your best interests first, okay?”

“Okay. I do trust you, Den. I know Dusty and me and our relationship are your number one priorities. I guess I’ll just need some time to get used to the idea.”

“Well, you have until tomorrow afternoon to hand in your notice to Mr. Mulligan. You only have to give one week’s notice. And Skyy, if you don’t do it, I will and neither of us will be happy if that happens. Got it?”

“Yeah, I got it even if I still don’t like it,” Skyy muttered, settling back against Dennis’ chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dusty,” Skyy said to get the attention of the man in front of him. “Did you keep a job the whole time you were going to university?” He picked up the shower attachment and rinsed the shampoo out of his partner’s hair.

“Is that what you and Den talked about this morning?” Dusty asked without answering Skyy’s question, dragging the younger man from behind him through the bath water until they were facing each other.

“Yeah!” Skyy shrugged his shoulders before asking once again, “Did you?”

“I tried to but couldn’t manage both. Dennis made me quit when I asked him to help me get organized.”

“He’s making me quit my job, too.”

“Humph, figured he might.” Seeing Skyy’s unhappy expression, Dusty said, “Don’t worry about it, kid. We’re younger than Den so we’ll be able to take care of him for a few years when he retires before we do.”

“Hey, that’s right. He’ll retire ten years before me. Hmmm, you just might have something there, D.” Skyy responded after giving it some thought.

Reaching for the shampoo and pulling his now smiling partner closer, Dusty offered to return the favour and wash the younger man’s hair. The bottle slipped out of his hand and splashed water in Skyy’s face.

“Sorry!” Dusty quickly apologized.

Skyy laughed as he wiped his face then he smacked his hand down, causing water to fly into the other man’s face. “Let the games begin!” he cried.

Five minutes later Dennis stood in the doorway of the en suite surveying the mess in front of him. His Brats were sitting in the tub looking like a couple of drowned rats and the entire floor was a pool of water. He removed his shoes and socks, waded across the room, pulled the plug and hauled his partners out of the bathtub. Landing a swat on each of the two wet bottoms, he ordered, “Get this cleaned up and make it quick.” Turning, he kept his smile hidden as he waded back to the door and left his Brats to get on with their task.

“He’s not really mad, you know,” Skyy whispered.

“And just how would you know that?” Dusty whispered back.

“Because he’s smiling.”

“How can you tell when he had his back to us?”

“By the way his shoulders move,” Skyy said knowingly.

“Yeah, right!” Dusty shook his head in disbelief and handed a sopping wet towel to his fellow-Brat.

“Your hand is still bothering you, isn’t it?” Skyy remarked as he wrung out the towel.

“Now and again it acts up but that’s all. You haven’t said anything to Dennis about it, have you?” Wiping up the remaining water, Dusty handed the last wet towel to Skyy.

“No! I already told you I wouldn’t. I think you should tell him though,” Skyy advised, squeezing out the towel before hanging it to dry. “No matter what you say, it is getting worse

“Maybe you’re right. I’ll think about it.”

Both boys were startled by Dennis’ voice and turned to see him standing in the doorway.

“That’s much better. Now, both of you can get ready for bed as it’s almost ten o’clock.”

By the time Dennis had showered and changed, Skyy was curled up under the blankets and sound asleep.

“He’s not too happy about quitting his job, Den.” Dusty informed his partner when the older man came into the bedroom.

Taking Dusty’s hand and pulling him up off the end of the bed, Dennis walked him across the hall to the den so they could spend time together. “If I remember correctly, you weren’t exactly thrilled with the idea yourself when I had you quit work to concentrate on your studies. I’m sure, like you, he’ll come to see the benefits and accept it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hi, D, how come you’re here? Are you getting off early on Fridays from now on?” Skyy had walked in the house to find his partner sitting in the living room.

“No! The boss sent me home. I’m waiting for Dennis to come and take me to the doctor’s office.” Dusty sighed and leaned his head on the back of the sofa.

Sitting down next to Dusty and seeing the tears in his partner’s eyes, Skyy quietly asked, “What’s the matter? It’s your hand, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Dusty nodded. “I’ve lost the use of it. Three of my fingers have gone numb and the numbness has spread right up to my elbow.”

“No shit!”

Dusty laughed ruefully, “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard you swear, Buddy.”

“And it had better be the last!” Dennis stated as he walked through the front door. “Have you boys eaten yet?”

“I just got home.” Skyy answered as he stood up. “I’ll grab a sandwich to take to work,” he called over his shoulder as he headed for the kitchen.

“I’m not hungry, Den, ‘cause I feel kinda sick.”

“It’s just nerves, love.” Dennis sat down and put his arm around the younger man’s shoulders. “We’ll stop off for a bite after you’ve seen Dom, okay?”

“Yeah, I guess.” Dusty pressed into the hug, needing all the assurances the older man had to offer.

After cuddling for a couple of minutes, Dennis stood up and said, “I’ll let Skyy know we’re leaving and see if he needs a lift.”

Returning from the kitchen with his youngest partner in tow, Dennis clapped his hands to get Dusty’s attention.

“Okay, babes, let’s go!” Dennis said as he ushered his Brats out to the car.

“Remember to hand in your notice this afternoon, Sport. You finished work one week from today.” Dennis reminded Skyy when he dropped him off at the Farmer’s Market.

“I told my boss yesterday that I couldn’t stay on, Dennis,” Skyy informed his older partner.

“Good boy and thank you.” Dennis pulled the younger man into his arms and kissed him. “See you later, honey, when I pick you up after your shift.”

Five o’clock found Skyy sitting on the curb waiting for Dennis. He looked up as his partner’s Mustang pulled to a stop beside him.

“What did the doctor say, Den? Is Dusty’s hand going to be okay? When can he go back to work?” Skyy rapidly fired off one question after another as he got into the passenger seat.

“We don’t know what is wrong yet, Sport. Dominic is arranging for tests to be done next week. Dusty has to have a series of x-rays and a cat-scan on Monday. Hopefully, we will have a better idea of what is happening by this time next week.”

“Man, he must be freaking out over it,” Skyy said softly, his concern for his other partner evident in his voice.

“No matter what happens, honey, we’ll work things out together. The three of us, okay? Right now Dusty just needs to know that he has our full support.”

As soon as they arrived home, Skyy went in search of his fellow-Brat. A crash from the family room caught his attention.

“What happened, Dusty?” He knelt down on the floor next to the man sitting there with his head on his raised knees. Skyy noticed the Nintendo game was turned on and the controls were lying in the middle of the floor.

“I can’t even play a game because my fucking hand won’t move properly.” Dusty’s aggravation was obvious. Lifting his head, he softly asked, “Don’t tell Dennis I threw the controls, okay?”

“Come on, Dusty, I’m not a rat or something.” Looking over Dusty’s shoulder, Skyy added, “Anyway, he already knows.” He nodded toward the stairs where Dennis was standing.

“I understand your frustration, young man, but you are going to have to curb your tendency to over-react before you get yourself in trouble. Being upset is no excuse for swearing or throwing things.” Dennis walked over and squatted down in front of his partners. Taking Dusty’s chin in his hand, he tried to offer some comfort. “I realize it’s hard not knowing what’s going to happen, love. I know you’re frightened but try to stay calm and we’ll handle things one day at a time.” He smiled and gave the chin he was holding a gentle shake. Standing up, Dennis held out a hand to each of his Brats. “Come on, boys, let’s get something to eat.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It seemed like the weekend would never end. After visiting his friends at the tenement on Saturday, Skyy spent all day Sunday studying. Dusty, on the other hand, wouldn’t leave the house no matter how much his partners coaxed him. He also spent most of the weekend quietly ignoring everyone, preferring to be on his own.

“How did your tests go today, Dusty?” was the first thing Skyy asked as he came into the kitchen on Monday afternoon and dropped his book bag on the floor.

“They weren’t too bad. The worst part was hanging around the waiting room while Dominic tried to squeeze me in between appointments.” Dusty sounded tired and out of sorts.

“Hi, Sport!” Dennis said, grabbing his youngest partner into a bear-hug. “How did your exams go?”

“Okay!” Skyy returned the hug and looked back and forth between the other two men. He really wanted to ask more questions about today’s events at the hospital but felt it would be better to wait until one of the others brought up the subject again. “At least I think I did all right on both of them.”

“Good! So you have your English and Math courses behind you and that just leaves your Science exam in the morning, right?” Dennis asked as he started getting ingredients out of the fridge to start the evening meal.

“Yep; then I’m finished,” Skyy said excitedly. His curiosity finally got the better of him and so despite Dusty’s unhappy look, he tentatively asked, “When do you think the doctor will have the results for your scan and x-rays, Dusty?”

Instead of answering, Dusty pushed back his chair, got up and left the room.

“Supper will be ready in twenty minutes!” Dennis called out to him and then answered Skyy. “Dom hopes to have the results by this Friday, sweetheart. How about throwing together a salad and setting the table for me?” he suggested, figuring it was best to keep one Brat occupied so the other could sulk in private. ‘It’s going to be one long, long week,’ he acknowledged to himself.

Skyy was lying on the floor in their bedroom when Dusty walked into the room.

“Why are you studying in here? Why can’t you do it downstairs?”

“Because Dennis is using the computer and his keyboard was bothering me,” Skyy explained. He closed his books and stuffed everything into his backpack, then added, “Anyway, I’m done for tonight. I’m going to have a shower now. Wanna join me?”

“No!” came the abrupt reply.

“Come on, Dusty, I’ll help you get your hair washed and then I’ll scrub your back for you.”

“Look, kid, don’t you get it. I just want to be left alone and while we’re at it, I don’t want you asking any more questions about my hand. It’s my problem, not yours, and when I’m ready to talk about it, I let you know. Until then, just bug off.” Dusty watched an unreadable mask drop into place, hiding the hurt look on the younger man’s face. He didn’t know how to reverse the nasty words he had just spoken to his young partner; a partner whom he loved dearly.

“Sure, man! Whatever you want; hum…. aaah….sorry for botherin’ ya!” Skyy shrugged and quietly made his way into their en suite.

Dusty slowly walked across the hall to the small den that had once been Skyy’s room and threw himself facedown on the daybed. He needed to think of a way to make up for the pain he had inflicted on his fellow-Brat. He knew Dennis was right; just because he was frightened and worried, didn’t mean he could do and say things without thinking first and he certainly shouldn’t be taking out his frustration on someone who loved him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Thank God the week from hell is over!’ Dennis was thinking to himself as he got dressed on Friday morning. He had put up with two moody Brats for several days now and had made up his mind to put an end to his partners’ temperamental attitudes before the day was over. ‘But first,’ he thought, ‘we have a doctor’s appointment to get through and here’s hoping the results are favourable.’

Dennis thought Skyy was still unhappy at having to give up his job. The young man had been exceptionally quiet all week, going out of his way to avoid them and be by himself most of the time. Dennis had given Skyy enough space to figure things out for himself and hopefully come to grips with it. The older man knew from past experience that this could take awhile.

Dennis also assumed that Dusty’s behaviour was due to the uncertainty of his future. He had spent a lot of time each evening cuddling with Dusty to keep him from a daily meltdown and to make sure he felt as secure as possible. He had also tried numerous times to assure the young man that if it became physically impossible to continue in his present line of work, there was always the option of becoming an instructor. Of course he knew Dusty wasn’t ready to think that far ahead yet.

By seven o’clock that evening Dennis discovered he had another major complication on his hands.

On the good side, Dusty had got up this morning with full mobility in his hand for the first time in over a week. Even the doctor could not say for sure what had been the problem. The scan and x-rays had come back showing everything was fine. Whatever the problem had been, it apparently had corrected itself. Dusty should have been ecstatic but he was still despondent.

It was long past the usual time for their evening meal and Skyy was almost two hours late. He had left right after breakfast for his last day at the Farmer’s Market. He had put in a busy week, completing his high school graduation requirements and working thirty-two hours instead of his usual twenty.

“I can’t imagine why that young man isn’t home yet. Mr. Mulligan said he left the market shortly after five o’clock,” Dennis complained to Dusty while pacing around the living room. “He hasn’t been seen at the tenement either. Can you think of any place he may have gone, love?”

“I really don’t know, Den. I didn’t actually see him this morning,” Dusty softly responded and wondered for the umpteenth time if he should have talk to Dennis about the things he had said to their young partner earlier in the week.

“This is about that darn job. It never crossed my mind that he’d be upset enough to run away from home.” Dennis sat down, leaned forward and put his head in his hands. “It’s my fault for not doing more to help him understand the reasons for that decision.”

“No, Den, it’s not your fault!” Dusty insisted as he sat down beside his partner and threw his arms around the other man’s neck. “It’s mine!”

“Baby, how can it be your fault?” Dennis asked, pulling his Brat onto his lap. “I’m the one who decided that work and school would be too much for him.”

“Skyy’s okay with giving up his job, Den. I-I said things…mean things…that I shouldn’t have. I-I hurt him. I’m sorry…so sorry.” Dusty stammered as he clung to the big man’s shoulders. “It is my fault!”

Dennis closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and calmly rubbed Dusty’s back for several moments before softly asking, “What did you say to him, love?”

The words, mixed with sobs, came pouring out. “I-I didn’t know how to fix things,” Dusty sobbed. “I should have told you sooner but I never thought for a moment he’d take off.”

“Yes, you should have talk to me and we’ll be discussing that later, young man. Right now, we have to find Skyy and bring him home.” Dennis lifted Dusty’s head off his shoulder and gently wiped his face. “Calm down, baby, and think for a couple of minutes. Do you have any idea of where Skyy would go, love? I hope he isn’t contemplating a return to his old life on the streets.”

Dusty’s face lit up as a forgotten memory surfaced. “Wait a minute! I bet I know where he is! He once told me about a shack he had built for himself. It’s in the wooded area behind the workshop at the terminal.” Dusty jumped up and grabbed the other man’s hand. “Come on, Den. Let’s go get him!”

“I’ll go get him but I want you to stay here, Dusty.” Putting up a hand to ward off an impending argument, Dennis quietly requested, “Please, sweetheart. I think it’s best if I go alone.”

“Okay, but tell him I’m sorry and I really want him to come home,” Dusty pleaded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dennis stood looking at the poorly built shack. ‘At one time this dismal hut was Skyy’s home,’ he thought, shaking his head. There were no sounds coming from within, so he knocked and then opened the flimsy door. He had to duck his head to get through the opening of the small building. Searching the dimly lit interior, he just managed to make out Skyy’s form under a couple of old seat covers on top of a pile of mattresses. A rusty, potbelly stove sat in one corner and a rescued office chair with two casters and one arm missing leaned against the far wall. Dennis sat down on the side of the makeshift bed and methodically rubbed his wayward Brat’s leg.

Skyy rolled unto his back and looked up through blurry, red-rimmed eyes, into the face of the most important man in his world. Tears started falling as he scrambled onto the big man’s lap.

“Why, little one?” Dennis whispered as he rocked his young partner.

“Dusty needs you. I heard the two of you talking. He might not be able to go back to his job for a long time and I don’t want to take things from him; like time with you or money or anything else,” Skyy murmured as he leaned into Dennis’ chest.

“Ahh, baby, we really got our wires crossed this week. I thought I was allowing you the space you needed to deal with giving up your job when you were actually backing off so that I could have extra time with Dusty. A lot of things have happened today, some really good things that we’ll talk about later. But right now, if you don’t come home, you’ll be denying Dusty what he wants most; us….the three of us.”

“Are you sure he wants me home?” a small voice asked.

“You better believe it, Sport,” Dennis declared, kissing him soundly. “Skyy, running away never solves anything and I’m pretty sure we’ve discussed this at least once before, haven’t we?” Getting a shaky nod, Dennis continued, “We’ll be discussing it again, young man.”

“I’m in trouble, right?” Skyy grimaced.

“I’m afraid so, Brat.” Dennis chuckled at the young man’s groan and set him on his feet. “Let’s get out of here. Someone’s waiting…..and not too patiently, I’ll bet.”

Skyy stood in the doorway and took one last look around the shack. “I’m never coming back here again,” he quietly promised before taking Dennis’s hand and announcing, “I’m starving!”

“Well, you’re probably not the only one. We’ll stop off at the truck stop down the road and pick-up hot chicken sandwiches. How does that sound?”

“Great! And maybe some apple pie, right?”

“Right!” Dennis smiled down at his now-bouncing partner.

“Hey, kid!” Skyy heard someone calling. He had been sitting beside Dennis and fidgeting while they waited for their order to be filled. He spun around and saw a couple of truck drivers in a booth behind them. One of the strangers was waving him over.

“Do you want me for something, mister?”

“Yeah, I do. My name is Monster Mike. Ever heard of me?”

“No.”

“Well, I’ve heard of you. You’re Big Blaine’s boy, aren’t you? He says you’re very talented and that you sure know how to please a fella.”

Skyy shook his head. “Not any more!” He shuddered at the rough appearance of the man in front of him.

“Look here, kid. I understand you only satisfied five or six regulars, but I also know you did the odd favour, so to speak. And before you deny it, a driver by the name of Onions already told me about the time you took care of him.”

“I don’t work out here anymore.” Skyy turned but before he could step away, he was grabbed from behind.

“Is there a problem here, gentlemen?” Dennis questioned. “If not, I suggest you leave my partner alone.” His dark brown eyes stared into pale blue ones.

Several moments past before the truck driver released his hold on Skyy and pushed him away. “Here, take him. He looks too young for the rumours about him to be true anyway,” Mike grumbled.

Dennis wrapped his arm protectively around Skyy’s shoulders and steered him towards the door. “We better get home before these meals get cold, Sport.”

Skyy went willingly, wanting only to follow his protector, best friend, partner and hero; anywhere the other man led him.

“Are you all right, Skyy?” Dennis asked as they walked towards the car.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” Skyy answered quietly.

“Do you know that guy, Sport?”

“No, I never saw him before. Maybe he thought I was someone else.”

The bounce was missing from Skyy’s steps and caused Dennis to suspect there was more to this, but he decided to put further questions on hold until more pressing matters were taken care of.

They arrived home to find Dusty waiting for them on the veranda. Dennis hardly had the car stopped before Skyy was out and running. The two Brats ended up in a heap on the ground. Dennis couldn’t decide if they were laughing or crying but he was certain they were ecstatic about being together again.

After setting the table and serving up their supper, Dennis went back outside to collect his partners who were still rolling around the front lawn like a couple of puppies. “Come on, guys. Chow’s on!”

Over a boisterous happy meal, they brought each other up-to-date on the day’s events.

“Wow! So your hand is okay now and you can go back to work? That’s terrific, Dusty!” Skyy exclaimed, his eyes sparkling.

“I stopped by the terminal this afternoon with the doctor’s certificate saying I can start back next week,” Dusty said before turning solemn. “Skyy, little buddy, I’m so sorry for the way I treated you and the things I said. I don’t know how to make it up to you except to say I never meant to hurt you.”

“Thanks, D. I know you didn’t mean it and that you were just having a rough time. It’s over now and all that matters is that we’re pals again, right?” Skyy looked at the small pile of vegetables on Dusty’s plate and asked, “Are you going to eat those carrots?”

“No, I’ve been putting them aside for you.” Dusty laughed, scooping up the carrots and dropping them on the younger man’s plate. “Trade you for some fries,” he said, helping himself.

“Will you two stop eating each others’ food and finish what’s on your own plates, please,” Dennis admonished, even though he secretly enjoyed watching them reconnect after the emotionally difficult week.

A short while later found the three men were sitting in the study. They still had two issues to discuss before the day was over.

“All right, boys. It’s after nine o’clock and I wish we could be ending this day on a more pleasant note, but we need to clear up a couple of things before going to bed.” Dennis was sitting on the straight-back chair facing his two partners who were squirming on the couch in the study. “Dusty, you know well enough that when you are having difficulty seeing your way out of a situation you should talk to me. Skyy, we have already talked about the futility of running away from a problem.”

The younger men looked at each other. Both knew exactly where the conversation was headed.

“We’ve apologized and made up, Den.” Wide, violet-blue eyes turned towards the older man. “I’ll never run away again, honest!”

“And from now on I promise I’ll talk to you whenever I’m having a hard time with something,” Dusty spoke quietly, sincerity shone out of his smoky-gray eyes.

“Thank you, but you’re both going to be punished for what you’ve done this week.” Dennis pushed his chair into the center of the room and gently instructed, “Dusty, I want you to go to your corner, please. Skyy, come here to me.”

Taking Skyy’s hand, Dennis moved him over to his right side. He felt a slight shudder pass through the young man’s small frame as he helped him remove his sneakers and jeans. A moment later, Skyy found himself face down over his partner’s lap and his boxers being lowered. “What did you do to earn this spanking, young man?”

Skyy struggled but couldn’t get away from the strong arm holding him in place. A sharp smack landed on his bare bottom as a reminder to answer the question. “I-I ran away.” The struggling stopped as the spanking continued.

“You are going to learn this lesson once and for all, Skyy. I want your promise that this will never happen again.”

“I-I’m sorry. I-I promise I won’t run away again. I-I promise.” Deep shuddering sobs accompanied the heartfelt declaration.

Dusty was softly crying in his corner. He hated listening to the younger man’s cries and felt that he was partially responsible for what was happening.

Dennis landed a final swat to the underside of each cheek and ended the spanking. He lifted and turned his young partner over to comfort him. “Shh, shh, little one. Hush, honey, it’s over now.”

Hesitant hands grasped at Dennis’ clothing. A wet face and runny nose wiped across his shirt. Muffled sobs turned to ragged breaths and then occasional hitches as the young man slowly calmed down. Dennis continued to rock Skyy for several minutes before gently standing him on his feet, pulling up his boxers and leading him over to an empty corner where he could keep an eye on him.

“I want you to stay here while I take care of Dusty. Okay, baby?”

“Okay,” Skyy’s big soulful eyes gazed up at him from a flushed, tear-streaked face. “I’m sorry, Den.”

“I know, little one.” Dennis patted the wet cheeks, tenderly kissed Skyy’s forehead, turned him to face the wall and whispered, “Love you, baby.”

Leaving his youngest Brat rubbing a sore backside, Dennis sat down and called Dusty over. “Step out of your sneakers please. Then it’s jeans down, boxers, too.”

Dusty’s hands fumbled with his button and zipper. All too soon, his pants and underwear were around his knees and he was stretch over Dennis’ hard thighs. His T-shirt was pushed up his back and his bottom raised as the leg beneath him shifted. Then the inevitable question, “Why are you getting this spanking, young man?”

“Because I hurt our partner and-and because I didn’t talk to you when I should have,” came the tearful answer.

Smack! “Ouch!” The swats rained down in a continuous pattern turning the flesh from a light pink to a deep red.

“Oww! Stop, please! It hurts, Den. Oww!”

“It’s supposed to hurt, Dusty, so you learn to follow the rules. From now on you talk to me; you don’t bottle things up and let them fester. Got it?”

“Oww! I got it. I won’t do it again.” Dusty tried to turn and look at Dennis but the strong arm around his waist held firm. He stopped struggling and let the tears of pain roll down his face. Several moments later, the spanking ended and he felt strong arms lifting him. He immediately leaned against the bigger man’s chest and gradually relaxed into the rhythmic rubbing on his back.

After setting Dusty on his feet and helping him with his clothing, Dennis called Skyy over so the three of them could go out to the living room and cuddle together in their large, double recliner.

“Dusty, I think we may as well go up to bed now,” Dennis commented a few minutes later when he realized that his youngest Brat had fallen asleep. “We’ll be talking more in the morning, love.”

“I’m sorry for not coming to you sooner, Den.”

“We’ve taken care of it, Grease-monkey. We’re okay.” He kissed the younger man’s lips. “I love you, you know.”

“Yeah, I know. I love you, too.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dusty, love, I’d like you to get your project binder please. Then go ask Skyy to join you in the kitchen,” Dennis requested as he headed in the direction of his study.

Thumping down the stairs with a large object in hand, Dusty called out. “Skyy! Dennis wants us.”

“What’s up?” Skyy hollered from the den. “I want to play on the X-box for a while.”

“You can do that later, Buddy. Get down here!” Dusty ordered, making his way into the kitchen and gingerly sitting down at the table.

“This better be good, man!” Skyy pouted as he begrudgingly lowered himself into a seat across from his fellow-Brat. He glanced at the rather bulky item on the table in front of Dusty. “What’s that for?”

“This is something Dennis had me start a long time ago. It was to keep me on track to get through university while building our relationship at the same time.” Dusty explained as he slowly pulled the zipper around the sides of the binder.

After skimming through the pages of a couple of the notebooks, Skyy commented, “Wow, you sure had to do a lot of writing. How come you saved everything? Den usually chucks the papers once we’ve finished doing lines.”

“These aren’t punishment lines, Skyy. All of this was to help me remember that I am important, that I’m capable of meeting goals and making dreams come true, that I have an equal part in our relationship. There are some lines in among these pages but there are also essays and pictures and all kinds of different keepsakes.” Sorting through the various items he had taken from one of the pockets, Dusty showed his young partner several very personal and private papers. “These are letters Den wrote to me whenever I was really down. I’ve also kept all the cards he’s given me over the years. We didn’t know what to call this at first so we just called it my ‘I am a somebody’ project and it kinda stuck. Now though, we just refer to it as the project.”

Both Brats were so absorbed in going through the numerous items they failed to notice Dennis standing in the doorway watching them. After allowing several minutes to pass, the older man softly said, “It’s time for you to begin building your own project, Skyy.”

“Are those things for me?” Skyy asked, pointing to the parcel in the big man’s hands.

“You got it, Sport,” Dennis answered, taking a seat beside the young man and turning to face his other partner. “Dusty, I’d like you to think about some of the things that happened this past week; how you acted, how you were feeling, what you wish could have been different, how mixed-up you felt yesterday. It’s to help you put things into perspective. Remember that although you’re doing this for yourself, we can go over it later if you want to. All right, babe?” He rubbed his hand slowly over the other man’s arm, grounding him and helping him to focus.

“I know how it works, Den, and I know what to do.” Dusty opened his notebook and whispered a soft, “Thanks.”

“Now, little one, for your first assignment.” Dennis smiled at the expectant look on Skyy’s face and taking a scribbler out of the package, handed it to him.

“Whoa, is this ever neat! The colours change whenever you move it and it feels different.” The notebook mesmerized Skyy. Dennis and Dusty exchanged satisfied glances. They were both aware of the young man’s love of colours and textures.

“Skyy, honey; I want you to write out each of the sentences on this sheet of paper five times. That should all fit on the first page of your scribbler. I want them to be written in English with a black pencil.” Dennis managed to silently count to three before the expected wail of indignation came.

“That’s not fair! How come I’m being punished when Dusty said the project wasn’t a punishment?” Skyy gazed up at his older partner, disappointment evident on his young face.

“It isn’t a punishment, Skyy. Read the sentences out loud and then listen to the rest of my instructions.” Dennis caressed the young man’s cheek.

“I am a unique person with special gifts and talents. I am an important part of this family. I am loved, wanted and needed by both my partners. I am in their thoughts, in their hearts, in the very fabric of their lives. They will always be here for me.” Skyy sat quietly re-reading the piece of paper over and over again to himself. “It’s true?” he whispered.

“Yes,” was Dennis simple, straightforward answer. “Now, sweetheart; after you write it out like I told you, I want it written again, five times in French then in Italian and finally in German. A new page for each language with a different coloured pencil for each page.” He laughed at the look of pure joy lighting up Skyy’s face as he handed him the new package of coloured pencils.

“There’s one more thing, boys.” Dennis shook his head at their exaggerated sighs of foreboding. “We are going to be spending a great deal of time together over the next month reconnecting and getting us back on track.”

Glancing over at Dusty, Skyy asked, “He means we’re grounded, right?”

“No,” the other man answered. “It sorta means we’re under house-arrest. Aside from work or school we can only go out when we’re together and Den says it’s all right. But it applies to all three of us, not just you and me.”

“Oh, so we get to wear a beeping wrist band or some kind of tracking device, right?” Skyy asked playfully.

“Wrong, Sport,” Dennis assured him once they got their laughter under control.

“Watch this, D,” Skyy whispered to his fellow-Brat, a look of mischief on his face.

“Den, will you stand up for a minute, please. Okay! Now turn your back to us and smile. You know, the kind of smile you don’t let us see when you want us to think you’re mad.”

Dennis couldn’t even guess what the Brat was up to but didn’t think there was any harm in obliging him. He smiled good-naturedly then turned around in time to see Skyy pointing out something to Dusty.

“Did you see it, Dusty?” Skyy whispered.

“Yep, you were right,” the other man agreed and started giggling at the confused look on their Top’s face.

Dennis decided to let them have their fun. He walked out of the room and left them working on their writing assignments. They didn’t fail to notice he was wearing his no-longer-a-secret smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Come on, Dennis!” Dusty shouted. “You said you’d only be a couple of minutes. What’s taking you so long?”

“Stop hollering, young man, before I change my mind and instead of joining you, I haul you both out of the tub and put you to bed,” Dennis scolded while walking into their en suite wearing no more than what he had come into the world with. His younger partners almost purred at the sight of him. Dennis was one gorgeous hunk. At six feet, a very athletic 175lbs, slightly darker than Dusty, he was oh sooo easy on the eyes. At least his partners certainly thought so.

“We have plans, Den,” Dusty kept his voice down. “We need you in here with us.”

Dennis stepped into the large whirlpool tub as his partners moved to make room for him. He relaxed back in the scented water, watching Dusty lather up a facecloth. After their older partner had been washed from head to toe, Skyy pulled the plug to drain out the water and Dusty used the hand-held shower to rinse everyone off.

“Skyy, I think it’s time, little buddy, to show the big guy just what you can do.”

Skyy was somewhat apprehensive as to what Dennis’ reaction would be to what was about to happen but because of his fellow-Brat’s support, decided now was as good a time as any to find out.

Giving his smaller lover a gentle squeeze of encouragement, Dusty pushed him back and suggested, “Let’s all get out of this tub and continue things in the comfort of our king-size bed.”

Several minutes later, Skyy was kneeling between Dennis’ spread legs and gazing up at a look of expectation. This would be the first time the young man would be taking the initiative with his oldest partner. With the exception of that one time with Dusty, Skyy had always followed the other men’s lead. Taking a deep breath, he reached up and ran his hands gently down Dennis’ hair-covered chest to just below his navel, fingers lightly grazing over sensitive areas and causing the big man to drawn in his breath. He stretched up to let his tongue explore the warmth of his lover’s mouth before trailing his lips along the path previously covered by his tantalizing fingers, licking the nipples before moving ever so slowly downward.

Dennis moaned with the incredible sensations, his body already responding as he reached for his young lover.

“Don’t touch him, Den.” The big man heard Dusty’s voice and felt his arms being pulled back. “Skyy wants to do all the work this time.” Dusty lay on his side next to his bigger partner, his head supported by one raised hand, and watched the expressions playing across Dennis’ handsome face. He reached down with his other hand to take care of his own arousal.

Skyy continued his assault, nibbling and kissing along the inside of each muscular thigh, his hands adding to the torment as Dennis’ eyes closed in ecstasy. When he felt his partner had been aroused enough, Skyy took Dennis into his mouth, drawing the man closer and closer to the point of no return. As Dennis neared the final pinnacle, Skyy started to purr, taking his lover over the edge and onto a crashing climax. Dusty climaxed at the same time.

Dennis murmured his small lover’s name as his body shuddered and rocked in the aftermath. He lay panting for several long moments before sighing contentedly and finally opening his eyes to see his partners staring down at him.

“Sur-pr-i-ise!” Dusty said in a light singsong voice. He was literally beaming from ear to ear, his gray eyes twinkling in merriment.

Skyy was sitting back on his heels, self-consciously preparing for the worse. No matter what Dusty said, he still had lingering worries about the big guy being disappointed when he found out how Skyy had supported himself while living on the streets.

Sensing the young man’s uncertainty, Dennis pushed himself up against the headboard and gently pulled a naked Skyy into his arms, “Come here, baby. I’m very interested in learning how you acquired this mind-blowing skill, little one. Is there anything you’d like to tell me about, Skyy? Like maybe something from your recent past and the possible connection between the incident at the diner and the ability you displayed a few minutes ago?”

Skyy nodded and haltingly confessed to all he had done to stay alive on the streets.

“I was careful to only offer my services to men after I got to know them well, Den. And they all knew I would only provide oral or manual sex….never anal. I always used protection to insure that I stayed clean and disease-free.”

“I understand, Sport. I believe you took every precaution but I also thank whatever deity was watching over you and keeping you safe.” Seeing the unanswered questions in the young man’s eyes, Dennis assured him, “Sometimes a guy has to do what a guy has to do; right, little one?” At Skyy’s shy nod, he continued his efforts to erase his young lover’s unfounded doubts and insecurities. “That’s all behind you, sweetheart. You never again have to return to that way of life. You’re part of a family now.”

Turning to Dusty and pulling him closer, Dennis stated, “I take it you’ve known about this for a while.”

“Hmmm, not all; although maybe most of it. I got the same surprise you just did when Skyy and I took that trip together last month. We planned to tell you, Den, sooner or later; like whenever the time felt right.” Dusty knew whatever any of them had done before their partnership started would not have to be accounted for. “Skyy was sort of nervous about what you would think of him. He thought you would be ashamed of him and not want him anymore.”

“It’s okay, Dusty; I’m rather pleased that you two boys were able to share this.” Looking down at Skyy, Dennis added, “I love you, little one. There is nothing you’ve done or will do that can make me ashamed of you and right now I think there are a couple of beautiful, young men in this bed who need to be shown just how much they are loved.”

Holding onto his partners, Dennis slid down until they were all lying comfortably on the bed. An hour later, three very-sated men fell asleep in each other’s arms.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment