It's Not Always Too Late

Written By: LJ


Skyy sat on the side of the bed and gently held the older man’s cold, dry hand in his own smaller, warmer one. “I know you have to go soon, Uncle Earl, but I wish you didn’t,” he tearfully whispered. He was beginning to realize his uncle’s passing was at hand and although he was saddened by that knowledge, he wasn’t alarmed by it.

“It’s time, son. Right now though, I just want to talk to you. I needed a few private minutes with you and that is why I asked you to come here alone.” Earl shifted to get more comfortable. He looked into the stunning violet-blue eyes of his nephew. ‘So much like his mother,’ he thought as his own misted. Earl desperately wanted to reach out and caress the soft blond curls, but he lacked the energy to do so. He struggled to regain his composure. “Skyy, I have so many regrets; my deplorable shortcomings to do a better job of protecting you from your father, the primary one. I was a dismal failure at keeping the promise I made to your mother.”

“That’s all in the past. No sense dwelling on it ‘cause we can’t change things someone else did. I’m not holding any grudges against you, Uncle Earl. I know how you feel about me and I love you, too.” Skyy was trying his best to reassure the man whose life was slowly slipping away.

“I have a gift for you, my little man. Open the drawer in the nightstand and take out the tissue wrapped package.” Earl waited while the young man did his bidding. “It’s a wizard’s ball, Skyy. It’s for good luck. Whenever you look at it, I want you to remember your mom and me.”

“I won’t forget! Promise!” Skyy declared in an awe-inspired voice as he slowly turned the beautiful crystal globe in his hands before placing it safely on the table next to the bed.

“I have to tell you about your mother and how we came to be in each other’s lives.” Earl paused to catch his breath as he stared into Skyy’s young face while visualizing another’s equally beloved image. “Crystal’s mother and mine were childhood friends. They grew up attending school together and eventually ended up working for the same company. They promised to always be there for each other. When Crystal’s parents where killed, my parents took her in. From that day forward, Crystal and I were raised as siblings. She was eight at the time and I was eleven. It was great having a little sister to grow up with.” Earl grew silent. He smiled as pleasant memories from the past momentarily resurfaced. “I loved her so much and yet I failed her so badly,” Earl murmured, tears of remorse filling his pale blue eyes.

“Back then it was always the three of us; Crystal, Harold and me. Harold lived in the house next door. He and I had been best friends since kindergarten. People rarely saw one of us without the other two being nearby. When Harold and I graduated a couple of years before Crystal, Harold found work locally while I moved to the bigger city. I never flaunted my sexual orientation but I didn’t hide it either. Harold, on the other hand, was never able to openly admit he was gay, and I no longer wanted to keep my feelings for him a secret. One life-long affliction your mother and I had in common; was the misfortune of being in love with the same man. Although I‘d been Harold’s Best Man at their wedding and had readily accepted the honour of being your Godfather, I’m afraid my visits were few and far between.”

“I think you should try and rest now, Uncle Earl,” Skyy softly suggested. He knew the older man was rapidly tiring.

“No, I want to finish this. I should have done so long ago.” Earl closed his eyes and took several minutes to marshal what meager strength he had left. Gazing once more into his nephew’s face, he continued his tale. “There were rumours of the marriage turning sour, of Harold’s drinking escalating and of his abusive tendencies. But Crystal never said anything and back then, I preferred not to believe what I considered gossip. I should have paid more attention.” Earl’s voice broke as disturbing recollections assaulted him and he fought to regain control.

“One night, Harold called to say Crystal had left him. He asked if I’d come back. My life was going nowhere at the time; I had long lost interest in my job and had recently tested HIV positive. I missed my hometown and I really missed Harold. I was willing to agree to almost anything in order to live with him. I never dreamt things could go so bad. In the end, I stayed as long as I did because I felt I owed it to Crystal to help raise her boy.” Earl paused to draw in another painful breath. “I failed you both miserably! I am so very sorry, my little man.” His eyes overflowed as he shed tears of shame and sorrow.

“You didn’t fail me, Uncle Earl. I’m still alive, aren’t I?” Skyy moved to the head of the bed and wrapped his arms around the dying man.

“I had the opportunity to do so much more; especially when I first suspected and then finally accepted the truth. Your mother had never run off like Harold claimed. You had never done anything wrong, Skyy. You were the victim of his guilty conscious because you looked so much like her and you were a daily reminder of his crime. You were twelve years old when I learned of the freezer’s existence. Repairs were being done to an area of the basement and the contractor had to temporarily relocate the items stored under the stairway. Harold’s uneasiness, his refusal to remove the heavy lock and allow the chest to be opened, along with his increase in alcohol consumption, raised flags that had previously been ignored. Yet, I still did nothing about it.” Earl sadly shook his head and murmured in a voice so low, Skyy almost missed it. “I was such a coward!”

“When I was diagnosed with AIDS two years ago, I didn’t shed a tear. Neither did Harold for that matter. Of course, he was suffering with cirrhosis of the liver at the time. I actually found it comforting to know where I was going.” The long sigh that escaped had a ring of contentment to it.

Skyy was finding the conversation disturbing, but let his uncle continue to talk. He listened patiently as he alternated between tenderly combing his fingers through the thinning hair and wiping sweat off the brow wrinkled in pain.

“I leave knowing you’re happy and properly care for. You were a lot wiser in affairs of the heart than your mother or I, and you’ve ended up with two wonderful partners.” Earl’s voice was fading yet he somehow succeeded in uttering one last declaration. “I love you, boy, and I am so damn proud of you, my little man.”

Skyy watched the heart monitor gradually register lower. Earl’s breathing slowed before his chest inflated twice more and everything went ominously silent.

“Say hello to Mama for me, Uncle Earl,” Skyy choked out. He knew it was impossible to keep him from going and didn’t really want to. His uncle was finally free from pain. Sliding off the bed, Skyy smoothed out the blanket and as he made his way over to the chair in the corner, he flipped open his cell phone, dial a number and left a message. “Uncle Earl’s gone, Den!” was all he managed to mumble as he curled up on the recliner. He didn’t doubt for a second that Dennis would be there as soon as humanly possible. He wrapped his arms around his legs, laid his head on his knees and quietly sobbed.

Someone entered and slowly walked across the room to stand at Earl’s bedside. “I’m so sorry for not getting here in time, my friend!”

Skyy raised his head at the familiar voice and his heartbeat accelerated.

“There was so much I wanted to thank you for. I’m eternally grateful for having met you,” was the soft supplication. “You were my one and only true friend!” Curtis was unaware of another’s presence until a strangled sound made him turn around and he found himself staring into the violet-blue eyes of his brother’s younger partner.

“Skyy?” Curtis questioned in surprise. He started towards the young man but stopped when he saw Skyy’s eyes widening and his fey-like body shrinking into the vinyl upholstery. He realized the boy was frightened. He held out his hand, palm up. “I’m not going to hurt you, Skyy. I deeply regret having ever harmed you.”

Curtis hesitantly moved closer. He dropped to one knee in hopes of appearing less intimidating. Looking back and forth between the man on the bed and the one in front of him, he tentatively placed a hand on Skyy’s leg. “You’re Earl’s nephew, aren’t you?” Getting a slight nod, he continued talking softly in an attempt to calm the apprehensive young man. “I’m sorry about your loss, Skyy. Earl often talked about you, but he never mentioned your name.” Curtis tried to see Skyy through the eyes of someone who loved him. He knew of the boy’s painful childhood and marveled at the kind, gentle creature who survived the abuse and neglect. He would have liked to offer additional comfort, but was afraid of upsetting him further. “Where’s Dennis, Skyy?” he finally asked out of desperation when any gesture on his part failed to ease the strained atmosphere surrounding them.

“He’s coming!” was the whispered reply.

“Will it be all right if I visit with you until he gets here?”

“Okay, I-I guess!” Skyy tried to relax. Although still wary, he was willing to give Curtis the benefit of the doubt when his old antagonist pulled over another chair and sat down next to him. “Hmm, you-you knew Uncle Earl?”

“Yes, I met your uncle at the hospice where I was doing community service. I truly believe getting that sentence was the best thing to ever happen to me. Earl and I got to know each other very well. He helped me acknowledge and deal with a lot of baggage I’d been carrying around for years. And because of his encouragement, I was able to make some major changes in my life.”

“Maybe you could share all that stuff with Dusty,” Skyy softly suggested several minutes later, giving proof he’d been paying close attention to what was being said and had recognized the genuineness behind it.

“Yeah, I just might do that!” Curtis smiled at the thought. He looked up to see a large man standing in the doorway. He got to his feet, wondering what the repercussions where going to be for his having spent time with one of Dennis’ partners, especially the youngest one. He wasn’t doing anything illegal. He had met all the requirements necessary to have the restraining order lifted.

But it was obvious that Dennis’ only concern was Skyy, as the younger man bolted off his chair and into arms held out to him. No words were spoken as comfort was generously given and hungrily received.

The nurse, who had followed Dennis into the room, took charge and smoothly dealt with the task of meeting the final needs of her patient. All arrangements had been made ahead of time and now only a bit of paperwork remained.

Not long after his arrival, Dennis gently led Skyy out of the hospital. He was curious about the crystal ball clutched in Skyy’s hands, but didn’t question him.

************

In the early morning hours, Skyy became restless, his breathing laboured, his heart racing.

“Come on out, boy!” the nicer of the two men living there, kindly invited. He was standing at the door and didn’t look at all threatening, but then he never did. “I’ve got supper ready.”

The boy tentatively followed him out to the kitchen. He wasn’t sure! Maybe he really shouldn’t be here! Maybe he should have stay in his tiny room where he periodically felt somewhat safer. He would be in trouble if the other man found him here. He kept his eyes on his bowl and quietly ate what had been put in front of him. But he was afraid.

“What the fuck is that little prick doing out here!” the voice of another man boomed across the room. He was home. He’d been drinking again. The yelling and arguing started.

The boy crept as quickly and inconspicuously as possible into his room. He rolled himself into a tight ball on his small cot in the corner. “Please, don’t!” he begged. His terrified plea went unheard. He waited for the pain to come. The door slammed shut and the light was turned off. Now only the darkness and fear remained. The fear was always there. The boy tried to distance himself and shut out the voices as the tears silently flowed down his pale cheeks.

……and the nightmare continued.

Skyy started to whimper and thrash around in his sleep. He was unaware of the strong arms lifting and draping him across the chest of yet another man; a man who had promised to care for him and keep him safe. This man: his rescuer, his protector, his hero, and his beloved partner. The terrifying dreams began to recede.

Dennis continued his rhythmic petting and humming as his youngest settled into peaceful slumber. He lovingly removed the fingers from Skyy’s mouth. The bedside lamp flickered on and he looked up into the concerned gray eyes of his other lover.

“Is he all right?” Dusty whispered. He reached over and tenderly pushed back the curls clinging to his fellow-Brat’s sweaty forehead. “He’s been having these nightmares for almost a week now. When are they going to stop?”

“They’re becoming less severe, love, and further apart. Hopefully they’ll end soon.”

“I hate this, Den!” Dusty murmured and cuddled closer. He added his hand to the larger one rubbing soothing circles on their partner’s back as his eyes overflowed and tears fell unheeded.

“I know, babe!” Dennis tightened his arms around both these men whom he loved with all his heart and dropped gentle kisses on the heads nestled into his shoulders. Soon only the older man was awake with just his thoughts of the past several days’ events to keep him company.

The funeral had been widely attended. Dennis had been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who’d shown up. He hadn’t realized how popular Earl had been, in spite of him having been partnered with Harold for so long, or was it because of it? Were Earl’s friends aware of his long-suffering and of his efforts to protect Skyy? According to Earl, while many had offered him compassion at Harold’s passing; he had been the lone man to stand by Harold’s graveside as the coffin was lowered.

Earl was laid to rest next to Crystal. In addition to Earl’s numerous friends, Skyy’s eclectic family from the tenement was present, as were both of Dennis and Dusty’s families. Skyy had stood quietly between his partners throughout the short service. Once again, he was wearing his mother’s locket around his neck. He gave a long sigh of relief when the last person had moved on after offering condolences. As per Earl’s instructions, no wake was held. Dennis’ overriding objective had been to get Skyy home, where the young man would have the privacy and time needed to grieve and come to terms with his loss.

Dusty had initially been upset by Curtis’ appearance until Skyy assured him it was appropriate. Although Skyy had briefly mentioned Curtis’ visit at the hospital, Dusty had not yet taken the time to analyze his feelings on the situation.

Skyy had spent the rest of the week systematically going through his uncle’s personal possessions and distributing them according to Earl’s final requests. Last evening Skyy had written thank you cards to all whom had shown any form of kindness during their time of bereavement.

The reading of Earl’s will was to take place later this afternoon and Dennis’ last concern before falling asleep was about Skyy’s reaction to the legal matters that would need to be attended to.

************

“Man, we sure signed a bunch of papers and tied up a lot of loose ends, didn’t we, Buddy?” Dusty let out a sigh and dropped down of the leather sofa next to his younger partner. “I can’t even remember half the stuff I witnessed.”

“Yeah, and I still don’t understand most of it!” Skyy complained as Dennis returned to the study after seeing their lawyer out.

Dusty and Skyy had waited somewhat impatiently for Bloyce Jefferson to gather up the signed documents, snap his briefcase shut, and speak quietly to Dennis for a few minutes before finally making his departure. They hoped Dennis would explain everything again, this time without all the legalese.

“Then let’s talk it over, sweetheart.” Dennis sat down on the coffee table to face his bewildered Brat.

“Well, first off, what’s an executor?”

“It’s just a fancy law-type term for chosen despot of a will, Buddy,” Dusty answered with a smirk in his older partner’s direction.

“Is that true, Den?” Skyy grinned as he looked to the other man for confirmation of his fellow-Brat’s statement.

“I guess it’s one way of putting it, especially in our home,” Dennis concurred, causing the younger men to laugh. “What it means, Sport, is that as Executor of Earl’s will, I have the final say as to how your inheritance is handled until you turn twenty-five.”

“So how is that different from anything else we do around here?”

“I don’t usually tell you guys how to spent your money, Skyy.”

“Yeah, that’s true. Except for the next five-plus years you get to decide how I spend this and then it’s up to me, right? I still want to have an allowance, okay?”

“Yes, to both your questions,” Dennis assured him. “Anything else you want to know?”

“Uh-huh! Where did all the money come from, Den?”

“I’d kinda like to hear the story behind that myself,” Dusty commented.

“All I can tell you is that over the past several years Earl had been steadily building up a sizable trust fund in order to secure Skyy’s future. There is more than enough to pay for your education and eventually set you up in your own business, should you feel so inclined, Sport.” Dennis was actually privy to a lot more information than he was in a position to share with his partners.

Earl had told Dennis about the tight-fisted lifestyle he and Harold had employed. This had been due mostly to Harold’s sporadic work history as a handyman. His inability to find a steady job had been a direct result of his alcoholism. While Earl had earned a more than an adequate income while working for the city’s water works department, he’d had no desire to enlighten his partner to that fact. Instead, he had put all extra monies aside for his nephew. He had hoped to make up for the childhood of deprivation Skyy had lived through. Earl had rightfully accepted a major portion of the blame for Skyy’s grievous past and having recognized the honourable attributes of his nephew’s partner; Earl had entrusted the task of seeing the funds used solely for Skyy’s benefit to Dennis.

“Maybe I can get a piano. I’d love to learn how to play one and it would really come in handy for my music courses,” Skyy hinted somewhat anxiously. Even after a year and a half of living with his partners, he was not yet accustomed to asking for things.

“Hey! Great idea, Buddy! Darby has mentioned you needing one.” Dusty voiced his support.

“Of course, baby! If a piano is what you want, a piano is what you’ll get!” Dennis assured his youngest Brat.

“You know what else you should buy? Your own car!” Dusty enthusiastically suggested.

“Ya think, D?”

“You certainly might want to consider doing so, Sport. Just don’t go making any deals until we’ve talked it over and Dusty has checked to make sure your choice is mechanically sound.”

“But, Den….” Skyy had his eye on an old car belonging to one of Aaron’s friends, but he wanted to keep it a surprise until he had saved up enough to buy it.

“I mean it, Skyy. I want your word on this.”

“Okay!” Skyy begrudgingly promised. “Just one more thing, Den; I’m still not exactly thrilled with that last piece of paper you made me sign.”

“Hmmm, you’re referring to the deed for this house, aren’t you?” Getting a nod, Dennis took a few moments to decide how best to approach the subject. “Skyy, love, as a threesome we have fewer legal rights than couples do. For example, we can never marry like Rowan and Darby did.”

“But, Den, same-sex marriage is allowed in this county.”

“Yes, but polygamy isn’t! It is important to keep as much documentation as possible in order to provide for whoever is left behind should something unforeseen happen to any of us. I realize you place little value on monetary things, but some are necessary to maintain the lifestyle we have worked hard to obtain. While it’s true Dusty and I purchased this home before we ever knew of you, now that we’re together we want everything to be equally owed by all of us. I’ve been meaning to get this paperwork done up ever since I overheard you explaining to both Aaron and Darby on separate occasions, that this is your home but not your house. Well, Skyy; as of today it is both your home and your house.”

“It’s not right, Den. I didn’t contribute anything towards the down payment or mortgage,” Skyy murmured dubiously.

“Sweetheart, from day one when you became the third member of our family, you’ve contributed as much to our partnership and our home as Dusty or I.” Dennis pulled Skyy up, took his place of the couch and pulled the younger man down on his lap. “You’ve generously given more than your fair share of all you have and all you are.”

“Looks like you’re just gonna have to get used to being a homeowner, buddy,” Dusty lightly teased. “Actually, you have been all along; only now it’s on paper.”

Skyy looked back and forth between the two men. He saw the sincerity in their eyes and with a deep sigh, accepted the inevitable. “What are the chances of you agreeing to the money Uncle Earl left being for all of us?” he asked hopefully.

“Absolutely none!” Dennis’ firm statement was accompanied by Dusty’s laughter.

“I’ll figure out something,” Skyy mumbled under his breath. “Then I guess a lot of it is just going to rot in the bank!” he commented out loud. The mischievous glint in his eye destroyed any chance of him being taken seriously.

************

Dennis stood in the doorway of the study shaking his head in fond exasperation. He shivered slightly in the cooler night air. He had gotten out of a warm bed to ascertain the whereabouts of his youngest Brat and as a result, was only wearing a pair of flannel pants. He simultaneously flicked on the overhead light and demanded, “Just what do you think you are doing, young man?”

“There’s no need to scare a fella, Den!” Skyy retorted and waited for his heart rate to return to normal. “I-I’m IM’ing Darby to tell him about the will and the piano and the house and everything.”

“Are you allowed on the computer at one o-clock in the morning, Skyy?”

“Nooo, but I have to do it now because they’ll be leaving for the cottage first thing in the morning and will be away all weekend. This was too important to wait and I knew Darb would want to know about it.”

“Sign off, please; this minute!” Dennis insisted, walking over to stand behind Skyy and look over his shoulder.

“Aah, Den. I haven’t told him…” Skyy left the rest unspoken when the office chair he was sitting on whirled around and he found himself gazing into his Top’s angry brown eyes.

“You are already in enough trouble, so I wouldn’t push it if I were you!” Dennis warned and turned his Brat back towards the computer.

“Oh, oh; Darby’s been busted too,” Skyy murmured, glancing at the screen. “Rowan’s online now.”

Dennis reached passed his Brat to the keyboard and began typing. “I’ve got things under control at my end, Rowan. I trust you’ll do the same at yours.”

“Okay, Dennis!” came the reply, seconds before the IM message box closed. A couple more clicks of the mouse and the monitor went blank.

Shutting down the system, Dennis hauled Skyy up and bent him over his left hip. After landing a dozen hard swats on the boxer-clad bottom, he set the smaller man on his feet and calmly reminded him. “No computer for the next seven days, Brat!”

Skyy raised tear-filled eyes up to see loving concern in the older man’s face. Placing his hands on Dennis’ shoulders, he pulled himself up the muscular body and wrapped his legs around his lover’s waist. “I’m sorry, Den,” he whispered, nuzzled into Dennis’ neck. He knew he was in the wrong and had been treated fairly. He was pretty sure Darby also suffering the loss of computer privileges was a given. Something never changed and Skyy felt secure in that certainty.

“I know, little one. It’s okay now.” Dennis slipped his arms under Skyy’s backside and chuckled when he felt a smaller, smoother chest rubbed across his thickly matted one as Skyy contentedly nestled in closer.

Heading out of the room, Dennis removed one supporting hand long enough to turn off the light before proceeding up to the master bedroom. He fervently hoped Skyy would have another phantom-free night’s sleep, making it three in a row.

************

“Humph, I wonder what this is,” Dusty mused, turning over the envelope in his hand. “It’s an invitation from Curtis, of all people!” he grumbled, dropping it onto the kitchen counter.

“Aren’t you going to read it, D?” Skyy finished tossing salad ingredients in a large bowl and set it down in the center of the table.

“No! I’m not at all interested in what’s going on with him.”

“Can I open it then?” Skyy requested, grabbing it up.

“Go for it, kid.”

“Wow! It’s for next Sunday.”

“What is, Sport?” Dennis walked in the back door and hung his jacket over the back of his chair.

“Thanksgiving Dinner; it’s Curtis and Bernice’s turn to host it this year,” Skyy announced, handing the card to Dennis.

“Big deal,” Dusty muttered. “Last time they hosted, they had it catered ‘cause they’re such snobs.”

“According to this, we’re to be in the Galaxy Room at the Delta Hotel by one o’clock. No reply is necessary.” Dennis ignored Dusty’s remark and read the information out loud.

“But we’re not going, are we?” Dusty asked. “Cause I darn-well don’t want to.”

Skyy busied himself getting supper on the table. He wanted to go but knew Dusty’s relationship with his brother was a sensitive subject.

“Yes! We are all going, Dusty!” Dennis kindly but firmly replied. “It’s a family tradition. We’ve done it every year since we met and we’re not going to miss it this year. You have over a week to resign yourself to the fact.”

Dusty wasn’t any happier when Sunday rolled around than he had been ten days earlier. His mood had deteriorated with each passing day despite repeated warnings from Dennis. By the time they got to the hotel, he was sullen and uncommunicative.

“I’m so glad you could make it,” Curtis warmly invited, offering his hand. He had honestly thought Dennis would decline the invitation.

“We wouldn’t have missed it, Curtis!” Dennis readily shook hands. His response was genuine and much more generous than Curtis had hoped for.

“It is good to see you again, Skyy, you too, Dusty.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Dusty groused while Skyy politely acknowledged the greeting.

Curtis smiled to hide his disappointment. He didn’t really blame his brother for holding a grudge. His earnest wish was that Dusty would someday be able to accept his apology; one he intended to issue before the day was over. He turned away to greet his parents who had just arrived.

“I’m going to help Sara with the kids, Den,” Skyy said as he headed towards the far side of the room.

Dennis grabbed Dusty’s arm and hissed. “Come with me, young man!” He marched his partner down the hall and into the men’s washroom. He locked the door and spun around to face his wide-eyed Brat. “One more inappropriate comment from you, Dustin, and we’ll be leaving for home where we will both be participating in a heated discussion. Do you understand me?”

“I didn’t want to be here in the first place, Den?”

“I asked if you understood me, not where you did or didn’t want to be!” Dennis slowly said through clenched teeth. “I realized you are none too happy at the moment, but you are capable of putting on a good front for a couple of hours. And for the sake of everyone else present, that is exactly what I expect you to do.”

Dusty stood glaring at Dennis’ angry expression for several moments before backing down. He thought of his parents and the other members of both their families. He thought of the embarrassment that he would cause his partners if he didn’t modify his behaviour. His eyes filled as feelings of shame engulfed him. “I’m sorry,” he choked out, throwing his arms around Dennis’ neck.

“It’s okay, baby! You can do this!” Dennis assured him with a tight squeeze. “So, are you ready to face the world?”

“Hu-huh!” Dusty sniffed. He glanced up through a watery smile and received a wink of approval in return.

They returned to the private dining room in time to take their seats at the table. Dusty sat between his parents and Dennis took the vacant chair next to Skyy.

“Before we start, folks, I’d like to thank you all for coming. You’ll notice Bernice isn’t here; the reason being that we have mutually decided to go our separate ways. Unfortunately, I lack the space in my new apartment to entertain this large a gathering, hence….” Curtis’ voice tapered off as he chuckled and used his hand to indicate the room he was referring to. “However, I’m sure the food will prove to be better than anything I could have prepared.”

As the meal got underway, Dusty covertly observed Curtis. He noticed the older man had lost quite a bit of weight over the last few months. ‘Curtis looks good!’ he thought, ‘slimmer, younger, and somehow different; happier, contented, or possibly at peace with himself?’ Dusty couldn’t remember ever seeing his brother like that before.

The Thanksgiving celebration gradually came to an end and family members began to leave. Soon only Dusty, his partners, his parents and brother remained.

“We have to talk, Dusty.” There was a pleading connotation to Curtis’ softly spoken request and Dusty responded to it by releasing the breath he had been unconsciously holding since sensing his brother’s approach. He wondered if he would be able to handle being alone with him.

Dusty reluctantly nodded and silently followed Curtis over to the big French doors and out unto the balcony. The light breeze was refreshing and had a calming effect on Dusty’s nerves. The two men sat for several minutes, facing each other but saying nothing.

Then Curtis looked away and started to speak, haltingly at first. “When I was fifteen years old, my…our parents announced that I was going to have a little brother or sister. Surprised doesn’t exactly describe how I felt; appalled might be more accurate. I resented you before you were even born. I somehow felt cheated. I perceived any sibling as a rival for my parents’ love. These negative feelings became more and more overwhelming. I gradually distanced myself from Mom and Dad, growing increasingly more dependent on Bernice, who I had been dating since Junior High, for support and understanding. I was so blinded by what I believed to be Bernice’s love for me; I never saw her developing into the manipulative, power-hungry parasite she became. I never noticed how much involvement she had in driving a wedge between my family and me. That said; I still assume full blame for how I’ve lived my life. I’m ashamed to admit how weak and selfish I’ve been.”

Curtis glanced up when there was no response to his recounting of earlier years. He found his brother patiently waiting for him to continue. Dusty’s face was expressionless. Not helpful but on the other hand, not completely discouraging either. So Curtis took a deep breath and forged ahead.

“A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to meet a very special man. A man, I will forever consider my best friend. Because of him, I was finally able to see the light, to recognized and get rid of a lot of emotional baggage I had been carrying around for years. I’ve also learned how to shoulder responsibility for my own actions and to make better choices. Earl helped me acknowledge my jealousy of you, of your happiness, your life, and your two honourable, gentle, kind, loving partners; one who is very protective, I might add. I want…need a chance to prove I can be a good brother.”

Dusty’s throat tightened and his eyes filled. It was his turn to talk now and he had a lot to get off his chest. “Do you have any idea how it was to grow up in another’s shadow? For years I was known as Curtis’ little brother by teachers and various group leaders. I tried so hard to follow in your footsteps. I waited so long for you to notice me. I wanted so badly for you to be proud of me. Finally I figured out you never would and it really pissed me off. I stopped giving a damn. I began taking my resentment out on other people. I took offense easy and would fight back at the slightest provocation, real or imagined. Poor Mom and Dad! It’s a wonder they didn’t give up on me. Dennis didn’t give up either. Man, I was still getting into fist-fights after we got together.” Dusty murmured and shook his head at the memories. He wasn’t going to share with the man sitting in front of him, Dennis’ method for breaking him of those bad habits. “All I ever want from you was a little recognition, nothing more. I mean, for shit’s sake, Curtis, it’s not like we could’ve ever been pals or something…not with sixteen years difference in our ages.”

“But we could have been brothers!” Curtis said so softly, Dusty almost missed it.

“And then when you hurt Skyy…” Dusty angrily wiped at his tears and stood up in an attempt to keep them hidden.

“I am so sorry, Dusty. I-I have no concept of how to go about making it up to you, but a wise man once told me it’s never to late to try to make amends. Please, I’m asking for your forgiveness, Dusty, and for another chance to be the kind of brother you’d like me to be.” Curtis got to his feet and slowly extended his arm. He blinked back tears of his own when his hand was grasped and he tried to pull Dusty into an embrace.

Dusty held back. Just because he was willing to accept the olive branch, didn’t mean he was ready to hug the tree it belonged to. He looked through the opened doorway and into the room beyond. His parents returned his gaze and they were smiling, having surmised what had taken place between their two sons. Next, Skyy came into his line of vision. His fellow-Brat was bouncing with excitement, grinning from ear-to-ear and giving him the thumbs-up. Lastly, Dusty glanced over at Dennis and his chest swelled when he saw the love and pride emanating from his life-partner’s face.

“Okay! Second chance, Bro!” Dusty whispered as he moved into his brother’s arms. “Like Den says, you’re family!”

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment